Massage Therapy Can Really Make a Body Feel Great
Massage therapy is the process of manipulating the body's soft tissues such as tendons, connective tissues, ligaments and muscles. Massage therapy is practiced worldwide to improve wellness or help in managing acute and chronic health conditions. The process involves using hands, forearms, fingers or elbows to knead soft tissues and muscles to enhance general wellness and treat injuries.
It is imperative to seek massage services from licensed therapists to avoid body complications. Massage therapists utilize oils and lotions, massage chairs and tables, and medical heat lamps to treat their clients.
Massage therapy is one of the most effective integrative medicines. It is provided alongside other medications to treat and manage medical situations and conditions. Research shows that massage therapy effectively reduces pain, stress and muscle tension. Medical experts recommend massage therapy to help deal with the stress of heart disease, fibromyalgia, cancer and stomach problems, to mention a few.
The Benefits of Massage Therapy
There’s many reasons to take part in massage therapy. Some of the most common benefits include:
- Reduces Muscle Pain - Massage therapy is known for easing muscle pain. It does this by elevating and enhancing circulation. It eliminates soft tissues restrictions that can lead to joint decay and other ligament related issues.
- Boost Focus - Massage therapy helps in increasing concentration. People who find it challenging to stay focused in a meeting, class or when reading a book should prioritize massage therapy. For a person to focus and pay attention to something, the heart rate needs to be lowered. When someone isn't paying attention, their heart rate is usually high. Massage slows the nervous system hence lowering the heart rate.
- Improves Sleep - Massage not only helps people to stay asleep for long but also assists people struggling with sleep disorders to rest comfortably. Massage enhances sleep and relaxation, especially to people undergoing radiation or chemotherapy.
Also, massage helps babies cry less, sleep more and be less stressed. If a parent wants to improve their infant's sleep, massage is a natural and convenient way to do it.
Popular Types of Massage Therapy
There’s many different ways in which massage therapy can be applied to the human body. Some of the most popular include:
- Deep Tissue Massage - In this type of massage, therapists exert more pressure to reach deeper into tendons and muscles. Deep massage targets to reach connective tissues that support and inhibit nerves, muscles, organs and bones. This type of massage is effective in relieving chronic pain. Massage therapists intend for deep tissue massage to be potent in getting rid of stiffness and pain from arthritis.
- Prenatal Massage - Women experience pain in hips, legs and lower back during pregnancy. Prenatal massage not only helps women deal with lower back pain but also enhances their mental health. Additionally, massage helps minimize the risk of premature birth and ease labor pain.
- Hot Stone Massage - As the name suggests, hot stone massage is the process of using heated stones to relax muscles. During this type of massage, a therapist places flat, heated stones on target parts of the body. Therapists use basalt stones – volcanic rocks that hold heat.
- Sport Massage - Sports massage is sought by athletes and high level performers to warm up before a game or high-intensity workout. This type of massage goes a long way in preventing injuries and enhancing blood flow.
- Aromatherapy Massage - This type of massage has been practiced since time immemorial. It involves using essential oils to relax muscles and tendons. The most popular scents include lavender, peppermint, bergamot, rose and lemon. Aromatherapy massage does great in enhancing sleep.
How Much Does Massage Cost?
The cost of massage per hour varies from one place to another. However, the average cost is about 60 dollars per hour. Therapists based in urban areas charge a higher price due to the higher costs of running a practice in major cities. That's said, some therapists offer discounted prices to attract clients.
In some situations, health insurance may cater for massage therapy. Again, this varies from one state to another. However, clients need a doctor's prescription for health insurance to cater for their massage expenses. In most instances, this applies when renowned medical professionals such as osteopaths, doctors, occupational therapists, physical therapists or chiropractors have massage therapists working in their clinics.