Not a Lot of Things Are More Fun Than Taking Out a Personal Watercraft
Piloting a personal watercraft is one of the most fun things to do on the water.
There are many different styles and models, but in general, they can be broken down into two main types: sitting and standing. Personal watercraft also comes in all shapes and sizes depending on how much you want to spend and what type of experience you prefer. They range from the very basic personal jet ski with no storage or seat for passengers, which is great if you're looking for speed-to-go, to the luxury pontoon boat that has lots of room for your friends. Safety should be the number one priority when choosing a personal watercraft because, just like any other vehicle, they require some proper training before jumping into the driver's seat. Sitting personal watercraft allows for a more laid-back experience with less exertion required from the rider; standing personal watercraft offer a more exhilarating ride requiring some skill at operating them. Stay safe on your next water adventure by following these tips!
Sitting vs. Standing Options
While there are different styles and models, there are two main types of personal watercraft: sitting and standing. Sitting personal watercraft allows for a more laid-back experience with less exertion required from the rider. Some make it easy to get on and off, while others need the rider to step over a footwall. This kind of watercraft is also great for people with mobility limitations. Another benefit of using sitting watercraft is the reduced likelihood of tipping over. Keep your body as low to the water as possible and avoid leaning back too far to maintain stability! On the other hand, standing models offer a more exhilarating ride requiring some skill at operating them.
Standing personal watercraft offer a more exhilarating ride requiring some skill at operating them and some solid balance. These are often larger and have higher speeds. They require the rider to be in good physical shape as they can lift their feet off the ground while standing up on the driver's seat.
Staying Safe On The Waves
Personal watercraft, aka PWCs or Jet Skis are small boats powered by an outboard motor and steered with handlebars. They can be used on both saltwater and freshwater but need to be registered in the United States for use in freshwater.
When riding any personal watercraft, make sure you wear a life jacket! Whenever you're riding, even if it's around the block, always have your safety equipment ready. It'll give you peace of mind so that when something goes wrong, you'll know how to react quickly without panicking.
- Always wear life jackets when riding personal watercraft.
- Wear protective clothing that will not absorb liquid or allow it to pass through the fabric to prevent hypothermia if you fall into cold waters.
- Keep away from all submerged objects like docks, logs, plants, and rocks - they're hard surfaces where propellers could become stuck, risking injury to you and the operator.
- Never operate a personal watercraft when under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Never ride alone, and always make sure someone knows where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Ride within your skill level concerning conditions (winds, waves) to not become too immersed in challenging situations. Practice makes perfect!
What Are Some Popular Brands And Models?
Popular brands include Kawasaki, Sea-Doo, Yamaha, and Bombardier, while popular models listed below are something else entirely!
- Kawasaki Voyager 1700 - The Kawasaki Voyager 1700 is a personal watercraft with many safety features to provide you with the best experience possible. It also offers amenities such as beverage holders, an MP3 jack, and speakers for your entertainment while riding!
- Kawasaki Ninja HII 1000 - The Kawasaki Ninja HII 1000 is another excellent choice of Personal Watercraft when looking into models from this brand. There are three different options regarding engine size, so finding one perfect for what you're specifically looking for isn't too difficult!
- Sea-Doo GTI SE 130 Special Edition - The Sea-Doo GTI SE 130 Special Edition is an excellent choice for those looking for something that offers a little bit of everything. This is one Personal Watercraft to look into in the middle with 130 horsepower and sportier style!